SOC Best Practices – Make Your Business Secure from Cyber Attacks
Establishing an SOC or security operations center can be a tough and tedious task. We have written this article to underline SOC Best practices. This will help you to make an informed decision and ensure the security of your network infrastructure.
Nowadays, with the rise of the internet, the security of your business from cybercriminals should be your first priority. The threat of cybercriminals is so real nowadays that many of the companies you know have a standalone team within the organization. However, this is a very costly endeavor and requires major upkeep and maintenance. Therefore you should employ SOC Best Practices from outside the company. We talk about one such SOC company in this article.
Before moving on, let’s talk about the basics of SOC.
SOC Best Practices – The Basics You Need To Know
SOC is a central hub that deals with all things relating to the security of a network infrastructure. It deals with tasks like deterring cyberthreats, proper response to any ongoing attacks and analysis of the security infrastructure as a whole.
The experts hired for these applications need to be well versed with the field and operate in a zero error causing way. As you can see, it is a complex and a very large undertaking. Therefore you require a team of individuals purposefully selected for executing this task.
Steps of SOC Best Practices
Implementing SOC is complex and involves a number of steps that are to be taken care of. It is an ever evolving field since new cyberattacks are being discovered every day on a regular basis. Hence the steps may slightly differ but in essence they are the same. The SOC Best Practices include things like:
- Defining the strategy according to your business infrastructure is the first step. Evaluate your IT infrastructure and curate a plan taking all the aspects into consideration. This will define a framework for the SOC team and help them in analyzing and plugging any potential vulnerabilities.
- Selecting the SOC Provider is the next very important step. You should choose one that follows SOC Best Practices. This single step on its own will decide the efficacy of the measures put to place. Selecting a team that is competent is essential.
- Third in line is the accessibility of your digital assets to your SOC Team. The team can only protect those assets that are known to them. Therefore they need the entire catalog of the commodities you own on the network. This also enforces the previous point. Having a trustworthy team is very essential.
- Since cyberattacks are relentless and can happen anytime, it is essential to keep monitoring the network continuously. Continuous surveillance of the network also enables the SOC team to get familiar with new cyberattacks and practice their strategies in the case of one.
- The role of SOC also involves analyzing vulnerabilities. Since the network is as secure as its weakest link, these vulnerabilities are needed to be patched and optimized to the latest security standard. This is quite an important step and can be interpreted as a part of the previous step.
SOC Best Services Providers
SysTools are the most preferred SOC Service providers that offer a range of practices and a well-structured response plan to effectively address and mitigate security threats. Here are some of the qualities:
- Behavioral Monitoring: They employ advanced techniques to monitor and analyze user behavior patterns.
- Maintaining Activity Logs: They maintain comprehensive activity logs to track and document all system and network activities.
- Root Cause Analysis: The SOC Team conducts a thorough root cause analysis to identify the underlying causes of security incidents
- Compliance Management: They assist in maintaining compliance with relevant industry standards and regulations. This ensures that your organization adheres to the necessary security requirements.
Their Response Plan in the Advent of an Attack:
They follow take use of SOC Best Practices and a well-defined response plan to handle security incidents effectively some of which are:
- Discovery: Rapid identification and initial assessment of a potential security incident through continuous monitoring and proactive threat detection.
- Preliminary Investigation: Conducting an initial investigation to gather crucial information to determine the severity and impact of the incident.
- Triage: Prioritizing incidents based on their severity and potential impact. This ensures quick response and appropriate resource allocation.
- Extended Investigation: A comprehensive investigation to gather further evidence, analyze the incident’s scope, and identify the extent of the compromise.
- Contain: Taking immediate action to isolate and contain the incident, preventing further damage or unauthorized access to systems or data.
- Respond: Implementing appropriate remediation measures to eradicate the threat, restore affected systems, and minimize the potential impact on operations.
Their proactive practices and structured response plan to maintain SOC Best Practices and ensuring that security incidents are promptly addressed makes them a prime choice for your SOC needs and in the process protecting your assets from cybercriminals.
In this article we discussed SOC Best Practices and all the things you need to know about this topic. Make yourselves familiar with this topic because it will help you choose the most trusted partner or your business just like the one mentioned in this article.